Membership Benefits - The Academy Of Medicine Of Toledo And Lucas County
Benefits of Membership
- Leadership Opportunities—Shape the future of medicine in Toledo and surrounding areas - the Lucas County Delegation to the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) is considered one of the strongest delegations in the state and is responsible for having 5 members elected to the Ohio Delegation to the American Medical Association (AMA). Toledo's voice is heard in Columbus, Chicago and Washington.
- Develop personal and professional contacts throughout the field of medicine.
- Subscription to Toledo Medicine—quarterly magazine with pertinent, socio-economic articles.
- Subscription to Communiqué—monthly newsletter keeping you informed of information that affects you and your practice.
- Links to useful medical sites located on The Academy’s website www.toledoacademyofmedicine.org.
- Referral Service—to match you with new patients.
- Forums, as needed or requested, on topics of special interest - The Academy/Hospital Joint Meetings held each year bring in national speakers on timely topics. The Academy may be the only medical society in the country holding these types of meetings with area hospitals. The annual Academy/Toledo Bar Association Seminar is also well received by Academy members.
Commissions, Standing Committees and Ad Hoc Committees to meet your needs:
- Community Relations & Communications Commission - In addition to numerous projects, an Academy Mentoring Program has been established for UT students interested in going into medicine.
- Judicial & Internal Affairs Commission - Credentials new members.
- Membership Services Commission - Evaluates benefits and services that will help Academy members and members of The Academy of Medicine Alliance.
- Education & Professional Affairs Commission - Carries out programs with other organizations and sponsors the yearly Winter Seminar.
- Community Health Commission - Continuously keeps the membership updated on items of interest in public health through the Communique'. The Academy has been very active in a number of issues from the commissions and committees and has written to local, state and national politicians or testified on these issues, including the smoking ban, Tar Wars, relaxing the EPA requirements for the Coke Plant, under and uninsured, proposed cuts for health education, and many other issues. Politicians have been very receptive to Academy concerns. Also, The Academy is a founding member of CareNet.
- Mediation Committee - Receives written complaints from patients and others and takes action to keep the complaints out of court or the State Medical Board of Ohio. Mr. Wealton takes complaint calls on a daily basis, helping patients and others so they won't go to the newspaper, TV stations, lawyers or the State Medical Board of Ohio.
- Toledo Medicine Editorial Board
- Academy/Bar Liaison Committee
- Physician Support Committee
- Resumes for your office staffing needs
- Notary Service
- Group Long Term Care Insurance Program - The probability of needing Long Term Care after the age of 65 is over 2 in 5. As a very important member benefit, members of The Academy of Medicine can take advantage of significantly discounted Long Term Care Insurance through John Hancock, the leading Group Long Term Care provider in the country, through The Ashley Group. This program offers: tax deductible policies that are individual & portable; discounted premiums of up to 40%; offered to extended families of members, i.e. members, retirees, spouses, parents, parents-in-laws, step-parents, grandparents, children & step-children; and unlimited education through the The Ashley Group. For more information, call Raj C. Laungani, MBA, The Ashley Group, 419-376-2809.
Provide answers to specific questions or concerns you may have - The Academy of Medicine staff members are here to answer your questions and if they don't have an answer, they will find it for you. Staff members include:
- Lee F. Wealton, MPH, Executive Director, 419-473-3206, ext. 4, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Johanna D. Begeman, JD, Assistant Executive Director and Managing Editor, Toledo Medicine, 419-324-6926, email@example.com.
- Debra K. Guhl, Office Manager, 419-473-3200, ext. 3, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carol A. Mosbacher, Membership Secretary, 419-473-3200, ext.1, email@example.com.
- Janice M. Schutt, Insurance Secretary, 419-473-3200, ext.2, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academy Services available at a discounted fee:
- Continuing medical education opportunities, including the annual Winter Seminar.
- Pre-addressed mailing labels of members.
- The Academy has a number of Special Services for Academy Members. Please see the attachment.